Epic of Serinor: Time of Chaos
Age of Heroes
The Fourth Epoch in the history of Serinor, time stopped during the Age of Heroes. The sun froze in the sky, and all means to mark the passage of time vanished. With an entire side of the planet facing away from the sun, there was a massive exodus to the Light Side. All plant life on the Dark Side died, and the polar ice caps shifted to lock that side of Serinor in perpetual ice. Most modern geographical meaures are based on maps from the Fourth Epoch, where distances were measured from the noon meridian (where the sun was directly overhead) or the Dawn and Dusk Twilights. Most major events during this epoch occured at the periphery of the epoch; a huge, uncountable swath of centuries where nothing happened dominated the middle.
- Hero Shrines are established in every major city, and flocks of newly immortal heroes are created. There is a high death toll during the initial crop of would-be heroes, as the ritual to activate the Hero Soul requires the hero to be slain before the Hero Shrine, and the only way to be certain that the participant has a Hero Soul is if they come back to life afterwards.
- Shadowkin begin to appear in Serinor, stealing away heroes of the other races.
- The first instance of a monster with a Hero Soul is recorded. A werewolf named Luke is activated by shadowkin who expected the beast to die permanently before the Hero Shrine. Luke gathers as many other werewolf heroes to himself as he can, calling them all lukosians.
- A close alliance forms between the shadowkin and lukosians, as most other races mistrust both.
- Humans declare a new crusade against the shadowkin, calling them abominations outside of the Light, fit only to be destroyed. Unable to safely approach the Divine Light shining from Holy Mount Gela, the shadowkin go into hiding to avoid the conflict as much as possible.
- The lukosians, desperate for some way to distinguish themselves from their feral cousins and validate their existance to the other races, take up studying arcane secrets. Their ferocious and single-minded persistance quickly outstrip the arcane learning of any other race.
- The lizardmen reconstruct the blood rituals used by the dragons to create them with the hope of perpetuating their race and ensuring their continued existance.
- Lukosians appropriate an old draconic island to establish a library for all learning of any kind in all of Serinor, which they call Esselte.
- Halfling engineers, in concert with lukosian enchanters, create the first sentient clockwork creature in the Kipexu Hydrotheurgic Plant. The halflings take the most subservient models with them when a clockwork uprising forces the plant to be abandoned.
- Strange creatures begin to seep into Serinor from the astral planes. They seem determined to destroy and destabilize the world. Heroes flock to wherever a sighting is reported.
- The human city of Achiela is destroyed by demons.
- A group of heroes initially comissioned by the High Priest of Gelaham wins the trust of the shadowkin. They discover Bishop Osric, creator of the Hero Shrine, still amongst the ranks of the undead. He instructs the heroes how to reach the ruins at Miriliclyn and seal the first Hero Shrine and end the astral incursion into Serinor.
- Heroes enter the astral planes and destroy the anchors holding the Hero Shrines in place, keeping Serinor safe from future astral incursions but destroying their immortality in the process.